Authentic, connective, collaborative, passionate, energetic, engaging, innovative, vibrant, challenging, thoughtful, fun. These are a few of the words our own folks use to describe our culture.
Our work environment is a key to our success. It’s a collaborative, creative, trusting and fun atmosphere, where people are given plenty of opportunities to grow their skills and take on greater responsibility. We are always interested in meeting driven, detail-oriented people who share our passion for creating great places to live, work and play. We offer competitive salaries and a full range of benefits not limited to a dog-friendly, casual workplace and karaoke parties.
To apply, please submit your resume and samples from your portfolio in PDF form HERE.
5 to 8 years or more of related experience. Licensed or on path to licensure. Professional degree in architecture from an accredited program. Responsible for specific technical design aspects of an assigned major project, including investigation, evaluation, and recommendation of the design solutions that best meets the client’s needs. May provide professional architectural consultation in the planning, design and coordination of large complex projects. Independently applies advanced architectural design concepts and designs. Carries out complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures. May provide technical guidance to less experienced team members.
• Ability to lead the design and drawing process
• Developed skill sets in design and construction documentation & able to teach others
• Ability to coordinate with team members, sub-consultants, vendors and stakeholders
• Ability to review own work and work of designers
• Assist and guide designers
• Demonstrate all of the key requirements of team work
Position Overview:Smith Gee Studio is seeking a passionate urban designer to join our top-notch team of smart, creative and fun people. The candidate would assist us with both public and private sector projects including zoning entitlements, design guidelines, site planning, large scale master planning, form based codes and the like. The ideal candidate will have strong design, drawing, and rendering skills.
Smith Gee Studio’s collaborative culture is a big reason for our success and the candidate should have the ability to work within a team environment. The candidate should have a fundamental understanding of smart growth principles, traditional neighborhood design, urban development issues, zoning standards, and sustainable design. We pride ourselves in the ability to design plans that are realistic and take into account building systems, building codes, local codes, policies, and development standards. The ideal candidate will share our enthusiasm and commitment to high quality place-making/urban design, community engagement, sustainable design, and will be skilled at quickly adapting to the shifting needs of our clients.
• Design concept master plans for large and small scale projects
• Prepare zoning entitlement applications and related graphics
• Prepare designs and deliverables within project budgets and goals
• Craft and manage public outreach processes and represent the organization in professional and public forums
• Build and maintain relationships with governmental and quasi-governmental entities; real estate and business groups; civic & community organizations; cultural and professional organizations; and advocacy groups
• Learn Metro Nashville’s and other local codes and standards
• Other duties, projects, and tasks as assigned
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Architecture, Community/Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, or a closely related field; advanced degree a plus
• Anticipated experience level as an urban designer ranges from 2-12 years (office experience preferred)
• Ability to communicate design ideas and perform simple site planning and massing tasks
• Proficient design and rendering skills (i.e. hand drawing, Photoshop, InDesign, Sketchup, AutoCAD, Revit)
• Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Demonstrated interest and experience in urban planning and development issues
• Ability to assist with facilitating community outreach processes
• Willingness to learn about and/or experience with the technical aspects of the public planning and development process
• Understanding of urban infrastructure and economic development issues